The Forsberg Family


Thursday, April 23, 2009

I didn't die!

First of all I have to say that if you're really tough and are super outdoorsy and exercise regularly you're not allowed to make a comment on this post.
Well, Jason and his girlfriend Alisa and Brian and I went backpacking this weekend to Canyonlands. I was under the impression it would be a nice flat walk for about a mile then we could set up camp and go on other short walks, and stop when ever we were tired. This was really important to me since #1 I'm so out of shape and #2 pregnancy is exhausting! Well when we pulled up to start our hike and I put my 35 pound pack on, I was told five or six miles to camp, my eyes immediately welled with tears. I knew I couldn't do it, I can hardly take a shower without sitting down during this stage of pregnancy, but I was already there and everyone was ready to go. Brian kept insisted we just didn't go, but I decided to quit thinking about it and put one foot in front of the other. After we hit the 5 mile mark there was a sign that said 2.7 miles to go. Are you freaking kidding me! We hiked for 8 hours taking maybe 4 fifteen minute breaks. The most ironic part was when we finally made it to camp, a truck drove by.  I was so mad.  We could've driven there!  I get going on a hike just for hikings sake, but if I'm going to kill myself I better end somewhere I wouldn't be able to see unless by foot!  After we set up camp all I could think is this is what rigamortis must feel like!  Anyway, I insisted on the way out we walk the road rather than the trail, since this was 3 miles shorter.  Brian hiked the last 3 miles to get the car and come pick us up. The last day we did a 3 mile hike and called it a weekend. I've decided backpacking isn't my thing, but it was beautiful and I am so dang proud of myself!

I hide my feelings well don't you think?
Our beautiful camp, Devils Kitchen
The four of us
Corona Arch

11 comments:

KP said...

Aaahhh, I am so proud of you to! I probably would have sat down and balled several times. But now you have the memory and you can brag to others that you did it!

Anonymous said...

We are sooooooo proud of you!!!! And thanks for going so the kids could spend the weekend with us. They kept us laughing............we had a blast!!!

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

Oh man I feel your pain. I can help but laugh when I see that picture of you with that "I'm about to kill you" look in your eye. Way to go girl! I wouldn't have done that. I think its great for people who love it but I'm more a lay on the beach kind of gal. :)I do appericate the beauty on all of the hikes I have ever been on, but not my first choice of get-a-way. I think you look like a cute lil hiker. :)

Cheryl said...

That would be hard enough as it is but being pregnant on top of it just makes it so much worse. Don't you love it when people tell one thing and then when you get there it turns out to be a lot farther than they had previously stated.

shaunita said...

You are amazing. I love hiking and backpacking, but not while pregnant. I would have opted out for sure. That's awesome that you stuck with it and made it through.

Kevin and Heather said...

What a trooper! I couldn't have done it, especially pregnant. Your amazing!

Unknown said...

Wow, you go girl!!! That is just beautiful up there. 8+ miles is a long way and you're awesome for pushing through.

Emily said...

Way to go Kandise! I still laugh when I think about the time you chucked your bike in the bushes on our way back to the Peter Whitmer Farm.

Mandy said...

You did it! you did it!!! Sorry it was so hard, but you are amazing. I love the pictures.

Hallie said...

I am so amazed at you. Great job!

Al said...

meh... awesome job! Next time, I'll come up and hike Brian into the ground and you can have a day at the spa!